March 21, 2018
Principal’s Message: Construction and Enrichment Updates
Our new MUR is coming together! The plan is to finish by the end of the school year so that the contractors can turn their attention to the next big projects: our classroom and office upgrades and the renovation of our old MUR into our new library and two adjoining Special Education classrooms.
To prepare for the classroom upgrades (all rooms except the new portables on the blacktop will be affected), we will be doing quite a bit of packing and labeling. This is a big job and we’ll need the community’s help. Teachers will begin to pack away items starting after Spring Break, so please look out for and respond to Konstella messages and emails about volunteering.
These boxes and furniture will be placed in storage containers that will be arriving on campus in May. Unfortunately, the only available space on campus for these large items will be the front parking lots. We currently do not know how much it will affect traffic, but be on the lookout for updates from me as soon as new information comes in.
On a different note, I want to thank our PTA for allocating funds for additional Computer Science classes for our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. CS will start up again after Spring Break and will take place once a week until the end of the school year. Thank you, parents and community members, for supporting such wonderful enrollment programs.
As always, if you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to drop me a line.
The next Principal’s Coffee will be on Thursday, April 5, from 8:15-9:15 a.m. I’d love to hear your thoughts and questions about our academic, enrichment, and social-emotional programming at Huff as we plan for next school year.
You are cordially invited to our 20th anniversary Huff Open House on Thursday, March 29 from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.! Details:
- We will begin at 6:00 p.m. on the blacktop with a Principal’s Welcome and PTA greeting.
- The amazing Huff Honor Choir will perform for us from approximately 6:10 to 6:25 p.m.
- Classroom visits will follow from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- During the event, we’ll be premiering a new video by the Community School of Music and Arts showcasing music instruction at our district’s schools
- The Huff Art Show is happening throughout the evening in our MUR. Come and see the amazing artwork by Huff artists!
- The front parking lot will be open to non-staff for the evening.
Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Attention 5th Grade Parents!
Online elective selection for 6th grade at Crittenden and Graham is open from March 20 to March 28. You should have received instructions and links to each middle school’s electives catalogue. If you did not, or if you need help with your PowerSchool parent portal account, contact our school office.
I'm looking forward to our Open House art show again this year. We have several new projects to feature this year. I can't wait to showcase what your students have done!
Parent Volunteers Needed for the Art Show
One parent per class--Mounting and labeling artwork: One volunteer from each class who can take artwork home or work in faculty prep room, as soon as possible to mount artwork on colored papers before the show. I will include directions and samples, and leave artwork in your child’s classroom for pickup.
One or more parents per class--Hanging the art show: One or more Volunteers from each class who can help me staple the art work to our black display boards in the MUR the week of open house. Volunteers are needed for the following times:
3/26—8-9, 9-10, 10-11, 11-12
3/27—8-9, 9-10, 10-11, 11-12, 1-2, 2-3, 3-3:45
3/29–-9-10, 10-11, 11-12
3/30—11-12 take down the show
Please contact your child’s teacher inf you can volunteer. Thank you!
A message from Crittenden PTA:
Dear rising 6th graders and families,
We are excited to have you join us at Crittenden in just a few months. To give you a taste of our middle school, we would like to welcome you to Panther Prowl, our annual Walkathon & Silent Auction, on Friday, March 23 from 2:15 to 5 p.m. at Crittenden Middle School. In addition to many exciting activities and delicious food, we will be inaugurating the new track. The ribbon cutting ceremony of the new track will take place at 2:10 p.m., followed by all the activities. Be sure to bring the entire family and help us with our fundraiser while enjoying delicious food, fun activities, and our amazing community!
State Testing Window
It’s almost that time again: our annual state testing for grades 3-5 is coming up. Between April 23 and May 11, our third, fourth, and fifth graders will be taking ELA and Math standardized tests. Fifth graders will also be taking a field test of the new 5th grade science exam. Grades 3-5 families, please avoid scheduling out of town trips during that time period and avoid scheduling appointments in the morning during the testing window. Thank you. For additional details, please see the attached letter from our District Office.
- Traffic Guidelines. Recall that we should not be walking on the non-sidewalk side of Martens and to cross at crosswalks whenever possible. Thank you.
- After school supervision of students. Parents, please remember that students are not to remain unsupervised on campus for any period of time after school hours. They should be supervised by caregivers, waiting for a ride at the front pick up area, or accounted for by our various after-school programs.
- All visitors must sign in. For security and legal reasons, all visitors (volunteers, parents, community members) who come to campus during school hours must sign in at the school office. Any exceptions will only be granted at the discretion of the site administrator.
SARC (School Accountability Report Card)
All public schools receiving state funding are required to prepare and distribute a SARC (School Accountability Report Card). The purpose of the report card is to provide parents and the community with important information about each school. SARCs are published each year and contain data from the previous school year.
There are several ways to view your school’s SARC:
- Visit the MVWSD elementary schools’ and middle schools’ webpages on www.mvwsd.org and click on your school’s SARC links, for both English and Spanish.
- Go to the CDE Find a SARC Web page. This CDE Web page provides actual SARC reports or SARC Web links to the school or district website where the school's SARC is located.
- If you would like to obtain a printed copy in Spanish or English, please see your child’s school.
MVEF needs your feedback! Please consider taking the survey below to share with MVEF your thoughts on the programs they fund, and how they communicate with you. The survey should not take more than a few minutes to complete and all results are compiled anonymously. MVEF will use the results to improve their communication with the community and ensure their funding has a high impact on education in our district.
Thank you! Please complete the survey by March 24.
MVWSD now offers part-day and full-day preschool classes with free, low cost and full fee-based options depending on family income. The preschool will begin accepting applications for the full-day classroom on March 12. Please see the attached flyer. Applications and additional information are available at www.mvwsd.org/preschool or at the Preschool Office: Castro School (Rm. 36), (650) 526-3500 ext. 1844.
Mountain View Parent U presents: "Developing a College Mindset Now: Planning for College While Kids are Young”
Thursday, March 22, 2018, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. - Crittenden Middle School - Multi-Use Room
Presented by the Family Engagement Institute, Foothill College - See Flyer
Parents will learn:
- Benefits of focusing on college at an early age
- Step-by-step strategies to prepare for college
- Requirements for college acceptance
- Resources for support and financial aid
Doors open at 6 p.m. Come early to connect with resources!
- Interpretation (Spanish support)
- Child care
- Transportation (Bus departs from Castro Elementary and Graham Middle at 6 p.m. and returns at 8:30 p.m.)
Auction Parties for Kids and Families - Sign Up Now!
There are still a few spots remaining in upcoming parties for both kids and adults! Don’t miss out on these great events! To sign up simply email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wine Tasting Afternoon Escape: Sunday, March 25
- Moana Movie Night (2nd-3rd Grade): March 30
- Park, Pizza, and a Movie (2nd Grade plus siblings): April 20
- Orange & White Mother/Son Ball (3rd-5th Grade): April 26
- Calling All Trolls! (1st Grade plus siblings): April 27
- Magician at the Park (1st-2nd Grade): April 29
- Embossed Card Making for Mother’s Day (Kinders): May 4
- Sports Party with Ms. Noriega (1st-2nd Grade): May 6
- Hang on to Summer: Swim, Games and BBQ! (Families): Aug. 12
- Night Sky Viewing (Families): Aug. 31
- Outdoor Movie Night (Families): Oct. 13
You can sign up online at https://www.huffptaauction.com or simply email email@example.com. Payment for parties can be made via cash or check payable to ‘Huff PTA’ and left in the Huff Office with any of our amazing office staff.
After School Programs
The Huff After School Programs List 2017-18 available here. Check back frequently for updates over the next few weeks.
We plan to continue the Colorcycle Marker, Highlighter, Sharpie, and Dry Eraser Pen recycling program this coming year. Last year our community kept 3,890 items out of landfill! (That's a 16% recycling increase from the previous year's collection). Please bring your used markers, highlighters, dry erase markers, and sharpies to the office and drop them in the Colorcycle box to keep them out of landfill. To learn more about the Colorcycle program, check out www.crayola.com/colorcycle.aspx or email Huff parent Ariana Menhenett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Tue., Mar. 27, 1:00 p.m. - 4th Grade Recorder Concert
Tue., Mar. 27, 3:00 p.m. - Site Council Meeting
Thu., Mar. 29, 6:00 p.m. - Huff Open House
Mon., Apr. 2, 8:30 a.m. - Kindergarten Performance in MUR
Mon., Apr. 2, 9:20 a.m. - 2nd Grade Performance in MUR
Tue., Apr. 3, 8:00 a.m. - Project Cornerstone
Tue., Apr. 3, 8:30 a.m. - 1st Grade Performance in MUR
Wed., Apr. 4, 8:30 a.m. - 3rd Grade Performance in MUR
Thu., Apr. 5, 8:15 a.m. - Principal’s Coffee
Thu., Apr. 5, 11:30 a.m. - Multicultural Festival
April 9 - 13 - NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
Thu., Apr. 19, 11:30 a.m. - Multicultural Festival (Rain Date)
Thu., May. 10, 1:30 p.m. - Honor Choir Spring Concert
To learn how to add the Huff calendar to your personal calendar, click here.
Flyers and Attachments
- English Classes for Parents - starting Nov. 4 - join any time!
- City of Mountain View - Swim Lesson Assessments
- Inklings Book Contest
- City of Mountain View Spring Break Camps
- Spartans Sports Spring Camps
- Spartans Sports Summer Camps
- Wizbots Spring Session
- CSMA After School Session
- CSMA Spring Break Camp