March 14, 2018
Principal’s Message: Open House!
You are cordially invited to our 20th anniversary Huff Open House on Thursday, March 29 from 6:00 to 7:30p.m.! Details:
- We will begin at 6:00 on the blacktop with a Principal’s Welcome and PTA greeting.
- The amazing Huff Honor Choir will perform for us from approximately 6:10 to 6:25.
- Classroom visits will follow from 6:30 to 7:30.
- During the event, we’ll be premiering a new video by the Community School of Music and Arts showcasing music instruction at our district’s schools
- The Huff Art Show is happening throughout the evening in our MUR. Come and see the amazing artwork by Huff artists!
- The front parking lot will be open to non-staff for the evening.
Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
No School on March 19
Monday is a Staff Development Day: there is no school for students.
State Testing Window
It’s almost that time again: our annual state testing for grades 3-5 is coming up. Between April 23 and May 11, our third, fourth, and fifth graders will be taking ELA and Math standardized tests. Fifth graders will also be taking a field test of the new 5th grade science exam. Grades 3-5 families, please avoid scheduling out of town trips during that time period and avoid scheduling appointments in the morning during the testing window. Thank you. For additional details, please see the attached letter from our District Office.
- Traffic Guidelines. Recall that we should not be walking on the non-sidewalk side of Martens and to cross at crosswalks whenever possible. Thank you.
- After school supervision of students. Parents, please remember that students are not to remain unsupervised on campus for any period of time after school hours. They should be supervised by caregivers, waiting for a ride at the front pick up area, or accounted for by our various after-school programs.
- All visitors must sign in. For security and legal reasons, all visitors (volunteers, parents, community members) who come to campus during school hours must sign in at the school office. Any exceptions will only be granted at the discretion of the site administrator.
PTA General Meeting - Thu. Mar. 15, 8:05 a.m.
Come join us in the MUR this Thursday, 3/15, just after drop off, for our PTA General Meeting. We have our elections for next year's board, as well as an important Principal's update.
YMCA Kids Place Parents Night Out
At the Y, we know that a supportive community is a big part of wellness. Enjoy a moment to yourself during Parent's Night Out on Friday, March 16 while resting assured that your child is engaged in a fun, nurturing environment in the company of new friends. We'll provide the games, movie, dinner and snack. Cost: $35 per child & $33 for siblings. Time: PNO will be open from 6pm-10pm. We have space for 28 kids - first come, first serve. You can sign up at YMCA Huff or email Rmuniz@ymcasv.org.
Last call to order your 2017/2018 yearbook! The order deadline is Tuesday, March 20
The yearbook can be ordered by clicking the "order a yearbook" button at: https://yearbooks.lifetouch.com. You will be asked for the school code which is 13351218, or you can look it up by school name. If you prefer to purchase the yearbook with cash or check, please contact Suzanne Drumwright at email@example.com to make arrangements.
Great job, Huff Hawks!!! We managed to raise over $220.00 from more than 2,200 Box Tops since October 2017. The vast majority of those came from our raffle in February. Thank you so much to everyone who brought in Box Tops! And we have some winners! Congratulations to Rachel W (Rm 9), Julianna J (Rm 7), Ava S (Rm 15) and Topher L (Rm 21)!! You’ll be getting your prize bags this week! :)
Thank you again and keep clipping and submitting those Box Tops. The more you bring in, the more money we get for our school. For any questions, contact Box Tops Coordinator Gina Rybolt at firstname.lastname@example.org
MVWSD now offers part-day and full-day preschool classes with free, low cost and full fee-based options depending on family income. The preschool will begin accepting applications for the full-day classroom on March 12. Please see the attached flyer. Applications and additional information are available at www.mvwsd.org/preschool or at the Preschool Office: Castro School (Rm. 36), (650) 526-3500 ext. 1844.
MVEF needs your feedback! Please consider taking the survey below to share with MVEF your thoughts on the programs they fund, and how they communicate with you. The survey should not take more than a few minutes to complete and all results are compiled anonymously. MVEF will use the results to improve their communication with the community and ensure their funding has a high impact on education in our district.
Thank you! Please complete the survey by March 24.
ThoughtExchange opens on Feb. 28: New school name and principal attributes
In 2015, the Mountain View Whisman School District Board of Trustees voted to open a neighborhood school next to the former Slater Elementary. The District soon will begin construction on a new school on N. Whisman Rd. This new school will open in August 2019 for grades kindergarten through 5.
As we prepare to open this new school, we want to hear your opinions about the important attributes and contributions of the potential person/namesake for this new school, as well as the traits of its new principal.
Look for a link in your email on Feb. 28 to join the ThoughtExchange conversation or visit this link http://mvwsd.thoughtexchange.com/invitation/ to join in before March 16.
Mountain View Parent U presents: "Developing a College Mindset Now: Planning for College While Kids are Young”
Thursday, March 22, 2018, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. - Crittenden Middle School - Multi-Use Room
Presented by the Family Engagement Institute, Foothill College - See Flyer
Parents will learn:
- Benefits of focusing on college at an early age
- Step-by-step strategies to prepare for college
- Requirements for college acceptance
- Resources for support and financial aid
Doors open at 6 p.m. Come early to connect with resources!
- Interpretation (Spanish support)
- Child care
- Transportation (Bus departs from Castro Elementary and Graham Middle at 6 p.m. and returns at 8:30 p.m.)
Become a Living Classroom Docent!
Mountain View Whisman School District’s Living Classroom program inspires our students to value the natural world through garden-based education. We provide Kindergarten through 5th grade classrooms with hour-long lessons that correlate with current science, math, and social studies standards. Living Classroom uses a hands-on, inquiry approach to learning which ensures our lessons are effective AND fun!
This year we will teach over 500 lessons with the help of our volunteers. Becoming a docent is rewarding, enjoyable, and no prior teaching experience is required. Interested in sharing your love of nature and outdoor learning with students? We would love to have you on board! Want to learn more? Check us out at http://www.living-classroom.org/ or direct questions to Program Manager Mallory Traughber at email@example.com. We will be holding three spring training sessions:
Monday, March 19
Stevenson PACT School - 1400 Montecito Ave., Mountain View, Conference Room D
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
**Living Classroom is funded by donations to the Mountain View Educational Foundation. Learn more at mvef.org. **
Inclusion for All with the Inclusion Collaborative, SELPA 1 CAC Parent Education Event
Wed. Mar. 21, 2018, 9AM-11AM, Los Altos School District Board Room, 201 Covington Rd, Los Altos
Inclusion will be coming to a school near you soon. The benefits for all children are remarkable. Find out more at this free public event.
The Inclusion Collaborative (IC) leads the effort to provide ALL children in Santa Clara County with quality learning environments. Its focus is the successful inclusion of children with special needs in child care, preschool programs, early learning environments, and the community through education, advocacy and awareness.
Find out more about what inclusion is and how it can benefit all children. What is co-teaching and how does it change the classroom environment? How do all students grow stronger by working together?
Auction Parties for Kids and Families - Sign Up Now!
There are still a few spots remaining in upcoming parties for both kids and adults! Don’t miss out on these great events! To sign up simply email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wine Tasting Afternoon Escape: Sunday, March 25
- Moana Movie Night (2nd-3rd Grade): March 30
- Park, Pizza, and a Movie (2nd Grade plus siblings): April 20
- Orange & White Mother/Son Ball (3rd-5th Grade): April 26
- Calling All Trolls! (1st Grade plus siblings): April 27
- Magician at the Park (1st-2nd Grade): April 29
- Embossed Card Making for Mother’s Day (Kinders): May 4
- Sports Party with Ms. Noriega (1st-2nd Grade): May 6
- Hang on to Summer: Swim, Games and BBQ! (Families): Aug. 12
- Night Sky Viewing (Families): Aug. 31
- Outdoor Movie Night (Families): Oct. 13
You can sign up online at https://www.huffptaauction.com or simply email email@example.com. Payment for parties can be made via cash or check payable to ‘Huff PTA’ and left in the Huff Office with any of our amazing office staff.
After School Programs
The Huff After School Programs List 2017-18 available here. Check back frequently for updates over the next few weeks.
We plan to continue the Colorcycle Marker, Highlighter, Sharpie, and Dry Eraser Pen recycling program this coming year. Last year our community kept 3,890 items out of landfill! (That's a 16% recycling increase from the previous year's collection). Please bring your used markers, highlighters, dry erase markers, and sharpies to the office and drop them in the Colorcycle box to keep them out of landfill. To learn more about the Colorcycle program, check out www.crayola.com/colorcycle.aspx or email Huff parent Ariana Menhenett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thu., Mar. 15, 8:00 a.m. - PTA General Meeting
Mon., Mar. 19 - NO SCHOOL - Staff Development Day
Tue., Mar. 27, 1:00 p.m. - 4th Grade Recorder Concert
Tue., Mar. 27, 3:00 p.m. - Site Council Meeting
Thu., Mar. 29, 6:00 p.m. - Huff Open House
Mon., Apr. 2, 8:30 a.m. - Kindergarten Performance in MUR
Mon., Apr. 2, 9:20 a.m. - 2nd Grade Performance in MUR
Tue., Apr. 3, 8:00 a.m. - Project Cornerstone
Tue., Apr. 3, 8:30 a.m. - 1st Grade Performance in MUR
Wed., Apr. 4, 8:30 a.m. - 3rd Grade Performance in MUR
Thu., Apr. 5, 8:15 a.m. - Principal’s Coffee
Thu., Apr. 5, 11:30 a.m. - Multicultural Festival
April 9 - 13 - NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
Thu., Apr. 19, 11:30 a.m. - Multicultural Festival (Rain Date)
Thu., Apr. 26, 1:30 p.m. - Spring Concert
To learn how to add the Huff calendar to your personal calendar, click here.
Flyers and Attachments
- English Classes for Parents - starting Nov. 4 - join any time!
- City of Mountain View - Swim Lesson Assessments
- Inklings Book Contest
- City of Mountain View Spring Break Camps
- Spartans Sports Summer Camps
- Wizbots Spring Session
- CSMA After School Session
- CSMA Spring Break Camp