May 16, 2018
Field Day volunteers needed!
We will be having our annual Physical Edcuation Field Day on Wednesday, May 23 from 8:30 to 10:00. Students will participate in various fun games and activities on the blacktop and field. We need two parent volunteers per classroom to help with supervision. To volunteer, click here and sign up using the Google Doc. Thank you in advance for your help!
Principal’s Coffee: Monday, May 21
How can we, as a school community, prepare our students to demonstrate the attributes of the Strategic Plan’s “Profile of a Graduate”? Where are we going with Project Based Learning?
For the past few months, our teachers and School Site Council have been hard at work brainstorming and discussing ideas related to these big questions. Our efforts have resulted in version 1.0 of a “Roadmap to the Capstone,” a three-year plan that I will be sharing at the final Principal’s Coffee of the year: May 21, from 8:15 to 9:15 in the MUR. Join me and learn more about where we are headed!
15th Annual MVWSD Interscholastic Chess Tournament
Sign-ups are now open at tinyurl.com/mvwsdchess for this year's district chess tournament. The tournament will be held from 11:30-5:00 on Sunday, May 20, at Monta Loma. There is no entry fee thanks to tournament sponsorship from Google. Parent volunteers are needed before, during, and after the tournament. For more information, contact Mike Fomin at email@example.com.
“Cake walk across the Universe” at Hawkfest 2018!
Please consider baking a treat for the Hawkfest cake walk. Please package your goodies into (generous) single servings on small paper plates, wrapped in Saran or a Ziplock bag - one piece of cake or two cookies/brownies per serving. Please provide an ingredients list for food allergy safety.
Items can be brought to the office any time on Friday, May 18. Please sign up to indicate what you are bringing at https://goo.gl/forms/M5WbOUSbtBCg2nae2
If you have questions, please email Lavanya Ramakrishnan at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Traffic Guidelines. Back of school: Drivers, do not drop off/pick up at intersections or block crosswalks. Front of school: remember to walk on the sidewalk side of Martens Ave. A Graham student biking to school was recently hit by a car. Luckily the student is ok -- let’s work together to minimize the chance of this happening.
- UPDATE: After school supervision of students. The upper grade playground (behind the portables) is off limits while school is still in session for grades 1-5. Parents and caregivers, please actively monitor your children/students while on campus after school.
- Non school-related items should remain at home. Toys and other items that could become a distraction must remain at home unless specifically permitted by a member of staff. Students should also not be bringing candy or gum to school. Things that don’t belong at school may be confiscated and returned to parents. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
- UPDATE: All visitors must sign in. If you need to drop off lunch or other items for your child, please leave it in the office and we will get it to your children. For security and legal reasons, all visitors (volunteers, parents, community members) who come to campus during school hours must sign in at the school office. Any exceptions will only be granted at the discretion of the site administrator.
Coin Drive– Bring your spare change from May 7– 18
Huff is one of many MV and LA schools participating in collecting pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters (and even dollars!) to help fund the Magical Bridge Playground Mountain View at Rengstorff Park http://magicalbridge.org/mtnview
- Magical Bridge is a playground for children and adults of all abilities and disabilities, including those with physical and cognitive disabilities, autism, hearing and visual impairments, those with sensory challenges, and even our aging population.
- The grade that collects the most funds will "win" a private playdate at Magical Bridge Playground Mountain View a week before it opens to the public!
- If you are inspired, please consider making a contribution (in any amount) through our dedicated donation page online here: www.magicalbridge.org/huff
- When making a donation, kindly note what grade your child attends, so they can receive "credit" for this tax deductible donation. Donations of $300 or above will be recognized with a tile on the donor wall inside the new playground.
- Buckets to collect coins will be in each classroom from May 7-18, 2018.
- For more information about Magical Bridge coming to Mountain View: CLICK HERE to see a video about Magical Bridge.
LAST Huff PTA General Association Meeting
Thursday, May 17, 8:05 am—MUR
Join us for our last review of the year & share your thoughts!
Find out how we used our fundraising dollars, get updates from our Principal and hear about end-of-year events. And we may have a visit from Superintendent Rudolph to review the Enrollment Priorities Task Force recommendations.
Site Council members needed for 2018-19
Are you a big picture person interested in helping to set the direction of our school? Do you consider yourself an “ideas person”? If you answered “yes,” then consider joining Huff’s School Site Council for 2018-19! The School Site Council meets four to six times a year to play a critical advisory role for the principal. We discuss topics like the annual Site Plan, Safety Plan, and Roadmap to the Capstone.
Nominations are being accepted between now and May 18, with an election if necessary the week of May 28. Feel free to nominate yourself or someone else you think would make a positive impact in this capacity. Send your nominations to Principal Chang (email@example.com).
Public input open for LCAP
MWSD has completed the draft of the 2018-19 LCAP (Local Control Accountability Plan). The draft LCAP was developed in tandem with the District's Strategic Plan using data collected from the following:
- District and site input meetings
- Input collected from staff, student and parent surveys
Please click here to provide your input about the plans' goals, actions, services and expenditures. Input will be collected through Friday, May 18 and the District will review and respond to all input during the week of May 21.
For more information about LCAP, click on https://www.mvwsd.org/about/district_plans/lcap_lc....
Bike It! Saturday, May 19
All 5th graders going to Crittenden and Graham next fall are invited to ride with us to middle school! Come preview the new route, see the middle school bike facilities, get some safety tips, have snacks, and ride back. Bring a parent and show them you can bike to school next year! See attachment for details, map and permission form.
Colorcyle Last Collection on Tue. 5/29
Dear Huff Community: Since our pilot of the Colorcyle Used Marker Recycling Program in the spring of 2016, Huff families have collected almost 12,000 used markers/sharpies/highlighters/dry erase markers and kept them out of landfill! On Tuesday 5/29, our 5th Grade Girl Scout Troop 60840 will make the round and collect the last batch of used markers for this school year. If you have any used markers/sharpies/highlighters/dry erase markers (any brand is ok), please bring them to the school office by 5/29. We are happy to announce that Huff 2nd & 3rd Grade Girl Scout Troop 60070 will take over the Colorcycle Program in the coming year. Thank you everyone for doing your part in improving our Environment! Remember to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle!
InPlay partnership helps parents connect with opportunities for students
Summer is around the corner! Here's a time-saving way to find local and affordable summer camps for your kids. Click here for a list of programs: MV.inplay.org.
InPlay is a non-profit working with MVWSD and Santa Clara County to offer this online service that helps families find local and affordable afterschool and summer camp programs. Many Mountain View area out-of-school programs are listed on one searchable site including: City-funded and 50+ other non-profit and for-profit programs.
MWVSD provides this as a resource to parents who are seeking additional learning opportunities for their students. MVWSD has not reviewed the activity programs and does not specifically endorse any of the programs.
If you have any questions or need help with using the site contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kick, Lead, Dream (KLD) Soccer
Parents, would your child benefit from a two-week, $10 camp? Kick, Lead, and Dream (KLD) is a soccer camp where motivated high school students (KLD Coaches) volunteer to become role models, to provide underserved or low income kids from the Mountain View and Sunnyvale public schools (KLD Campers) the opportunity to improve their soccer skills, learn valuable leadership qualities, and gain the confidence to dream BIG! Campers are provided with free refreshments and camp t-shirts. KLD's goal is to make the camp experience something campers will always remember. Free round-trip bus transportation, from select pick-up points in Mountain View and Sunnyvale to camp is also provided. Sunnyvale bus pick ups are expected to be at Lakewood School, Columbia Middle School and Vargas School. Mountain View pick-ups will be Theuerkauf or Crittenden (tbd) and Castro. Sign up online to participate in this 2-week, $10 camp!
DATES: June 11 - June 22, 2018
DAYS: Mondays - Fridays, no weekends
TIME: 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
LOCATION: Cooper Park, Mountain View, CA - 500 Chesley Ave, Mountain View
FOR: Underserved/low-income students from public schools in Mt. View & Sunnyvale, Current 2nd through 8th grade for the 2017/2018 school year.
COST: $10 per Camper (bring on first day)
Auction Parties for Kids and Families - Sign Up Now!
There are still a few spots remaining in upcoming parties for both kids and adults! Don’t miss out on these great events! To sign up simply email email@example.com.
- Hang on to Summer: Swim, Games and BBQ! (Families): Aug. 12
- Night Sky Viewing (Families): Aug. 31
- Outdoor Movie Night (Families): Oct. 13
You can sign up online at https://www.huffptaauction.com or simply email firstname.lastname@example.org. Payment for parties can be made via cash or check payable to ‘Huff PTA’ and left in the Huff Office with any of our amazing office staff.
After School Programs
The Huff After School Programs List 2017-18 available here. Check back frequently for updates over the next few weeks.
Thu., May 17, 8:00 a.m. - PTA General Meeting
Fri., May 18, 5:00 p.m. - Hawkfest
Mon., May 21, 8:15 a.m. - Principal’s Coffee: Roadmap to the Capstone
Wed., May 23, 8:30 a.m. - Field Day
Thu., May 24, 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. - Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast
Fri., May 25 - MINIMUM DAY
Fri., May 25, 9:00 a.m. - 5th Gr visits to middle schools
Mon., May 28 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
Wed., May 30, 8:15 a.m. - 5th Grade Graduation
Fri., June 1 - MINIMUM DAY - Last day of school
To learn how to add the Huff calendar to your personal calendar, click here.
Flyers and Attachments
- Spartans Sports Summer Camps
- Pedal in the Park - Safe Bicycling Tips
- Summer Swim Lessons
- MVPL Teen Summer Programs