Aug 16, 2018
A summer of construction at Huff is coming to an end, and we are excited to welcome students and families back to school on Monday, Aug. 20. So much work has been done on our campus, and we are excited to have the new MUR and updated classrooms.
As with any construction project, there will be a few items that we'll be finishing up in the next few weeks. Thanks in advance for your patience as we finish up landscaping, painting touch-ups, cabinetry installation, and window coverings, to name a few.
We'll work hard to minimize any disruption to students and staff members. Thank you for your support and SEE YOU ON AUGUST 20!
- If you are not returning for the 2018-19 school year, please contact the principal (email@example.com) as soon as possible. Alternatively, you may call our district office at (650) 526-3500.
- The Huff Office is now open 7:30-4:00. Much unpacking is still needed - please pardon our appearance.
- Class rosters will be posted outside of the office on Friday, August 17 at 4:00 p.m.
- The first day of school is Monday, August 20. It is a minimum day: students will be dismissed at 11:55 a.m. Tuesday is the first full day.
- Very important: please review these updated traffic guidelines.
- Huff continues to be under construction in 2018-19. Due to the renovation of our former MUR into a new library and classroom building, much of the front of the school will be fenced off.
- Review the updated Huff Handbook.
- Stay current with the latest Huff news and updates: read the weekly newsletter sent home every Wednesday and posted on our website, follow us on Twitter, check out the PTA’s Facebook Page.
Verifying Student Information via SchoolMint
By now you should have received an email from our district office asking you to verify your children’s enrollment and emergency information via SchoolMint. Please do this as soon as you can. If you did not receive the email, please call our district office at (650) 526-3500. If you need in-person assistance, please come to the Huff office during normal business hours on August 15, 16, or 17.
Suggested School Supplies
Our suggested supply lists for the school year are online at Yubbler.com. All items on these lists are optional, and we appreciate your consideration. If you plan on contributing, please order now to ensure that they arrive by the first week of school. Bring the supplies shipped home to your child’s classroom during the first week of school. At Huff, all donated supplies are pooled between the entire grade level team.
Teacher Work Day: August 17
Did you know that teachers are back at work on Aug.13? They participate in trainings and meetings to ensure a smooth and successful year. Another key part of their work that week is the Teacher Work Day on Friday, August 17. While the teachers are very eager to meet you and your children, we ask that you honor the precious time that teachers have to prepare and leave them undisturbed on that day. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
5th Grade Instrument Distribution
Dear 5th Grade Parents and Guardians, we are looking forward to your student’s participation in the 5th Grade Music Program. Please note that instrument distribution nights are coming up.
- String instruments (including violins, violas, and cellos) will be distributed on Tuesday, August 21, from 5:00 to 7:00 pm.
- Brass and woodwind instruments (including saxophones, trombones, clarinets, flutes, and trumpets) will be distributed on Wednesday, August 22, from 5:00-7:00 pm.
- Any remaining instruments (brass and strings) will be available on Monday, August 27 from 5:00-7:00 pm if you could not attend on the 21 or 22.
Instruments may be picked up at Graham Middle School located at 1175 Castro Street, in rooms #52 and #55. Please remember that we have a limited number of instruments and that instruments are distributed on a first-come, first served basis. For more information please go to www.mvwsd.org
Class List Posting & Social: August 17, 4:00 p.m.
Class lists will be posted outside the Huff office on Friday, August 11 at 4:00 p.m. Find out which class your child is in and stay to socialize and enjoy popsicles provided by the PTA.
New Family (non-Kindergarten) Meet and Greet: August 19, 2:00 - 2:45 p.m.
Families new to Huff: come and meet Mr. Chang as he takes you on a tour of our campus and goes over basics and answers your questions.
Kindergarten Social and Orientation: August 19, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Please join us at Huff on Sunday, Aug. 13 from 2-4 p.m. for light snacks and an opportunity for kindergarteners to play and their parents to get to know one another. Kindergarten families will also meet the amazing Kindergarten teachers and get a tour of their child’s classroom. You’ll also have a chance to meet Mr. Chang and members of our PTA.
First Day of School Welcome Back Social: August 20, 8:00 - 9:00 a.m.
Come say hello to your PTA Executive Board on Monday, Aug. 20 from 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. on the blacktop at Huff. After dropping off your students at class, stay around to socialize with other parents. Visit the Huff PTA booths to find out about membership, volunteering opportunities and to learn more about the various programs that your contribution to the Huff PTA annual fund goes towards.
New Multi-Use Room Grand Opening and Social: August 21, 2:45 - 3:30 p.m.
Come and see the new MUR and enjoy some light refreshments with other members of the Huff community.
Back to School Night: September 5, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Come and learn about your child’s classroom, teacher, and the important academic topics of the school year.
Absence and Tardy Policy
During the school year, should your child be absent for any reason, please call Ms. Marily at 650-526-3490 x3003. Excused absences are limited to illness, doctor/dentist appointments, and bereavement. All other absences will be considered unexcused. Once you have accrued three unexcused absences or unexcused tardies over thirty minutes you should expect a truancy letter. Once a student accrues five unexcused tardies, parents will be contacted by a district liaison for an attendance meeting.
If your child requires medication to be kept at school, please pick up medication release forms from the office and return ASAP (we cannot administer any medication without the form). Please note that all medication, even over the counter ones, need a medication form signed by your doctor.
PTA Welcomes You!
The 2017-2018 Huff PTA Executive Board looks forward to meeting new Huff families and welcoming back returning Hawk families! If you have any questions or suggestions for this school year, email Helen Cittadino: firstname.lastname@example.org Please see this flyer for a list of PTA supported programs/services and 2018-2019 membership information. Click here to join or donate to the PTA for 2018-19!
The Mountain View Educational Foundation Welcomes You to 2018-19
MVEF is excited to welcome all students and families to another wonderful school year. In our elementary schools, MVEF supported programs include:
- In-school art and music instruction for all TK-5 students.
- Hands-on science kits to help teachers deliver high-quality science lessons.
- Living Classroom garden-based lessons.
- Beginning and advanced leadership workshops for grades 4-5.
- Engaging, hands-on natural science field trips and class programs for grades 4-5.
Please see this flyer and consider a contribution in 2018-19. Thank you for enriching the education of all of the children of Mountain View!
Fri., Aug 17, 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. - Class List Postings & Social
Sat., Aug 18, 9:00 - 4:00 p.m. - Beautification Day
Sun., Aug 19, 2:00 - 2:45 p.m. - New Family (non-Kindergarten) Meet and Greet
Sun., Aug 19, 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. - Kinder Social and Orientation
Mon., Aug 20, 8:00 - 11:55 a.m. - First Day of School - MINIMUM DAY
Mon., Aug 20, 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. - Welcome Back Social
Tue., Aug 21, 2:45 - 3:30 p.m. - New MUR Grand Opening and Social
Wed., September 5, 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. - Back to School Night
To learn how to add the Huff calendar to your personal calendar, click here.