May 2, 2018
Principal’s Message: Reminders
- UPDATE: After school supervision of students. The upper grade playground (behind the portables) is off limits while school is still in session for grades 1-5. Parents and caregivers, please actively monitor your children/students while on campus after school.
- Non school-related items should remain at home. Toys and other items that could become a distraction must remain at home unless specifically permitted by a member of staff. Students should also not be bringing candy or gum to school. Things that don’t belong at school may be confiscated and returned to parents. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
- UPDATE: All visitors must sign in. If you need to drop off lunch or other items for your child, please leave it in the office and we will get it to your children. For security and legal reasons, all visitors (volunteers, parents, community members) who come to campus during school hours must sign in at the school office. Any exceptions will only be granted at the discretion of the site administrator.
- Traffic Guidelines. Recall that we should not be walking on the non-sidewalk side of Martens and to cross at crosswalks.
Thank you for keeping our campus safe and (relatively) free from distractions!
Huff named California Distinguished School
As our Superintendent shared in a recent newsletter, Huff has been named a California Distinguished School for 2018. The California Department of Education will be honoring the 287 distinguished elementary schools (out of over 5,800 in the state) in Anaheim on May 3. Mr. Chang will be traveling there to represent Huff. Check our website and social media accounts for photos! Congratulations, all!
Computer Science Classes
Thanks to our PTA, our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students will be experiencing five more sessions of Computer Science classes between now and the end of the school year. Our provider, Code for fun, has shared this progress report document that outlines the goals of the program and students’ progress toward them. The document also has a summary of the next five weeks.
Space Odyssey Project Runway Maker Workshops
In preparing for the Space Odyssey Project Runway on Friday 5/18, our 5th Grade teacher, Mr. Hillman, will offer two lunch time Maker workshops for kids to design and build their "Outer Space Gear".
Time: Monday 5/7 at noon in the MUR
Wednesday 5/16 at noon in the MUR
Please tell your children about these two events and we look forward to meeting your inventors!
15th Annual MVWSD Interscholastic Chess Tournament
Sign-ups are now open at tinyurl.com/mvwsdchess for this year's district chess tournament. The tournament will be held from 11:30-5:00 on Sunday, May 20, at Monta Loma. There is no entry fee thanks to tournament sponsorship from Google. Parent volunteers are needed before, during, and after the tournament. For more information, contact Mike Fomin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eat at Armadillo Willy's Sunday Afternoon, May 6, to Support Huff!
Step 1: Go to Armadillo Willy's in Los Altos on Sunday, May 6 between 12 - 4 p.m.
Step 2: Gorge on some barbecue ribs, beef prime brisket, burgers, or barbecue chicken sandwiches.
Step 3: Be sure to mention that you're with Huff Elementary as Armadillo Willy's is generously donating up to 20% of your purchases back to the Huff PTA. (Flyer attached)
Come for lunch or even an afternoon snack of tater tots and chocolate chip cookies.(Who doesn't love the tots?)
Armadillo Willy's - 1031 N. San Antonio Rd., Los Altos
(Please note that this is the Los Altos location and NOT the Sunnyvale one.)
Coin Drive– Bring your spare change from May 7– 18
Huff is one of many MV and LA schools participating in collecting pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters (and even dollars!) to help fund the Magical Bridge Playground Mountain View at Rengstorff Park http://magicalbridge.org/mtnview
- Magical Bridge is a playground for children and adults of all abilities and disabilities, including those with physical and cognitive disabilities, autism, hearing and visual impairments, those with sensory challenges, and even our aging population.
- The grade that collects the most funds will "win" a private playdate at Magical Bridge Playground Mountain View a week before it opens to the public!
- If you are inspired, please consider making a contribution (in any amount) through our dedicated donation page online here: www.magicalbridge.org/huff
- When making a donation, kindly note what grade your child attends, so they can receive "credit" for this tax deductible donation. Donations of $300 or above will be recognized with a tile on the donor wall inside the new playground.
- Buckets to collect coins will be in each classroom from May 7-18, 2018.
- For more information about Magical Bridge coming to Mountain View: CLICK HERE to see a video about Magical Bridge.
LAST Huff PTA General Association Meeting
Thursday, May 17, 8:05 am—MUR
Join us for our last review of the year & share your thoughts!
Find out how we used our fundraising dollars, get updates from our Principal and hear about end-of-year events. And we may have a visit from Superintendent Rudolph to review the Enrollment Priorities Task Force recommendations.
MVEF, together with numerous Educational Foundations throughout the Bay Area, is recognizing May 9 as a day to Stand Up for Public Schools. Mayor Lenny Siegel, as well as the Los Altos and Los Altos Hills mayors, signed a proclamation in support of this day and our public schools. The proclamation recognizes our public schools are integral to the development of our future leaders and citizens, and their excellence is dependent on every child, at every school, having access to a competitive, well-rounded education. Support our public schools by donating today at www.mvef.org.
“Cake walk across the Universe” at Hawkfest 2018!
Please consider baking a treat for the Hawkfest cake walk. Please package your goodies into (generous) single servings on small paper plates, wrapped in Saran or a Ziplock bag - one piece of cake or two cookies/brownies per serving. Please provide an ingredients list for food allergy safety.
Items can be brought to the office any time on Friday, May 18. Please sign up to indicate what you are bringing at https://goo.gl/forms/M5WbOUSbtBCg2nae2
If you have questions, please email Lavanya Ramakrishnan at email@example.com
MV Parent University - “Suicide Prevention: What Parents Need to Know”
MV Parent University presents “Suicide Prevention: What Parents Need to Know” on Wednesday, May 9, 2018 from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. at the Crittenden Middle School – Multi-Use Room. Presented by: Santa Clara County Behavioral Health Services, parents will learn to ask the right questions and resources to help, as well as about the QPR/ Question, Persuade, Refer, Suicide prevention gatekeeper training.
Doors open at 6:00 PM. Come early to check out the resources!
- Interpretation (Spanish)
- Child Care
- Transportation (Bus departs from Castro Elementary and Graham Middle at 6 p.m. and returns at 8:30 p.m.)
Kick, Lead, Dream (KLD) Soccer
Parents, would your child benefit from a two-week, $10 camp? Kick, Lead, and Dream (KLD) is a soccer camp where motivated high school students (KLD Coaches) volunteer to become role models, to provide underserved or low income kids from the Mountain View and Sunnyvale public schools (KLD Campers) the opportunity to improve their soccer skills, learn valuable leadership qualities, and gain the confidence to dream BIG! Campers are provided with free refreshments and camp t-shirts. KLD's goal is to make the camp experience something campers will always remember. Free round-trip bus transportation, from select pick-up points in Mountain View and Sunnyvale to camp is also provided. Sunnyvale bus pick ups are expected to be at Lakewood School, Columbia Middle School and Vargas School. Mountain View pick-ups will be Theuerkauf or Crittenden (tbd) and Castro. Sign up online to participate in this 2-week, $10 camp!
DATES: June 11 - June 22, 2018
DAYS: Mondays - Fridays, no weekends
TIME: 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
LOCATION: Cooper Park, Mountain View, CA - 500 Chesley Ave, Mountain View
FOR: Underserved/low-income students from public schools in Mt. View & Sunnyvale, Current 2nd through 8th grade for the 2017/2018 school year.
COST: $10 per Camper (bring on first day)
Auction Parties for Kids and Families - Sign Up Now!
There are still a few spots remaining in upcoming parties for both kids and adults! Don’t miss out on these great events! To sign up simply email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Embossed Card Making for Mother’s Day (Kinders): May 4
- Sports Party with Ms. Noriega (1st-2nd Grade): May 6
- Hang on to Summer: Swim, Games and BBQ! (Families): Aug. 12
- Night Sky Viewing (Families): Aug. 31
- Outdoor Movie Night (Families): Oct. 13
You can sign up online at https://www.huffptaauction.com or simply email email@example.com. Payment for parties can be made via cash or check payable to ‘Huff PTA’ and left in the Huff Office with any of our amazing office staff.
After School Programs
The Huff After School Programs List 2017-18 available here. Check back frequently for updates over the next few weeks.
We plan to continue the Colorcycle Marker, Highlighter, Sharpie, and Dry Eraser Pen recycling program this coming year. Last year our community kept 3,890 items out of landfill! (That's a 16% recycling increase from the previous year's collection). Please bring your used markers, highlighters, dry erase markers, and sharpies to the office and drop them in the Colorcycle box to keep them out of landfill. To learn more about the Colorcycle program, check out www.crayola.com/colorcycle.aspx or email Huff parent Ariana Menhenett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Tue., May 8, 7:30 p.m. - 5th Grade Concerts at CSMA
Thu., May 10, 1:30 p.m. - Honor Choir Spring Concert
Thu., May 15, 8:00 a.m. - PTA General Meeting
Fri., May 18, 5:00 p.m. - Hawkfest
Mon., May 21, 8:15 a.m. - Principal’s Coffee
Wed., May 23, 8:30 a.m. - Field Day
Thu., May 24, 7:30 a.m. - Volunteer Breakfast
Fri., May 25 - MINIMUM DAY
Fri., May 25, 9:00 a.m. - 5th Gr visits to middle schools
Mon., May 28 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
Wed., May 30, 8:15 a.m. - 5th Grade Graduation
Fri., June 1 - MINIMUM DAY - Last day of school
To learn how to add the Huff calendar to your personal calendar, click here.
Flyers and Attachments
- Spartans Sports Summer Camps
- CSMA After School Session
- MVPD presents Women’s Day - May 12
- Pedal in the Park - Safe Bicycling Tips